Netivot Shalom’s Israel Focus Group: the V’Zot Yisrael Committee, וזאת ישראל
- Israel is the Jewish homeland
- We approach it with love
- We are committed to its
survival and security
- Promote our community’s
identity with Israel
- Integrate identity with Israel into the life of our community through prayer, awareness, knowledge, programming and symbolic acts.
- Bring our community together by emphasizing a positive perspective
Monthly Sunday Events
V’zot Yisrael presents monthly Sunday 10 – 11:45 programs featuring:
- Israeli speakers – graduate students, post-doctoral scholars, and professors giving informal lectures in their area of expertise
- Programs by Netivot Shalom members with Israel expertise or experience
- Film and music evening programs
Monthly Sunday Evening Israeli Films
Sunday evenings at 5:30
The Book Group meets every other month to discuss books by Israeli authors. Literature is one of Israel’s most interesting and successful “exports.” Join us in reading a variety of Israeli authors — the discussion is lively in the CNS library on the second Tuesday of every other month, 7:30 – 9:00.
Click here to see a list of books that we have read.
Click here to see suggestions for future book readings.
The Intermediate Modern Hebrew Chug meets on the first and third Sunday of each month at 4 p.m. Our teacher, Keren Asayag, is a professional Hebrew teacher, has a warm welcoming personality, and makes our lessons interesting and fun. If you can speak some Ivrit and read easily, this class is for you. To learn more contact: Dorit at email@example.com
Israel’s 24-hour English News Internet Television Station:
It is a 24hour news feed (from the Israeli perspective) and is intended to rival CNN, Al-Jazeera, BBC, etc. and it covers world news but also has a specific Israel news section.
News (English versions listed)
- http://www.haaretz.com/ – Haaretz left leaning daily, circulation: 70,000
- http://www.jpost.com/ – Jerusalem Post right-of-center daily newspaper, 15,000 daily, 40,000 weekend
- http://www.ynetnews.com/ – Ynetnews / Yedioth Ahronoth, 250,000
- http://www.israelhayom.com/ – Israel Hayom – free daily, right leaning, 300,000
- Maariv – no English version, aimed at secular audience, Hebrew – 150,000 daily, 200,000 weekends
- http://jstreet.org/ – J Street – The Political Home for Pro-Israel, Pro-peace Americans
- https://www.aipac.org/ – AIPAC – America’s Pro-Israel Lobby
- http://www.nif.org/ – New Israel Fund – works for equality and democracy for all Israelis.
- http://www.hadassah.org/ – Hadassah – Women’s Zionist Organization noted for health care and hospitals in Israel
- http://www.camera.org/ – Camera – Committee for Accuracy in Middle East Reporting in America – US-based media-monitoring organization battling “anti-Israeli bias in the media”.
- http://makomisrael.org – Makom, Israel. In Rel Life. – Educational materials about Israel.
- http://natureisrael.org – the Society for the Preservation of Nature in Israel (Israeli Sierra Club)
- http://israel21c.org – Israel 21c – online magazine about Israel, especially about technology
- http://womenofthewall.org.il/ – Fighting for Women’s Rights and Religious Freedom in Israel
- http://www.goisrael.com – Israel Wonders – Israel’s official North American tourism web site.
- https://rhr.org.il/eng/ – Rabbis For Human Rights – Promotes justice and freedom in Israel, campaigns against discrimination and inhumane conduct.
Videos about Israel
Did you know
COEXISTENCE BY MEANS OF THE CIRCUS
Israeli, Muslim and Christian High School students, 72 in all met at the Israel Circus School in Kfar Yoshua, learned to touch and support each other by performing four circus acts; trapeze, rope climbing, trampoline acrobatics and juggling. At the end, each group put on a performance, and more importantly, attitudes changed, trust was established and friendships formed.
SAFE FOOD GUARANTEED THROUGH ISRAELI TECHNOLOGY
FoodScan 3000, an Israeli company, has developed a hand held advanced sensor that can detect the presence of contaminants and related chemicals in food in just three seconds before anyone can see or smell them. It detects a change in quality at any level, and can provide a relative indication of the contamination level of cheese, milk, fruit, vegetables, meat and other foods, protecting the public before someone becomes ill from eating contaminated food. The device is receiving world wide attention.