We shall strive to incorporate sustainability into our core operations through internal and external efforts. Specifically, we shall adopt the following policies and practices:
• Conserve energy, water and natural resources.
• Commit to only purchase environmentally friendly products.
• Reuse, Recycle and Reduce.
• Promote environmental education, outreach and awareness.
• Support efforts to engage decision-makers in moving off of fossil fuels and onto 100% renewable energy in line with climate science
Reduce, Reuse and Recycle
• Reduce the waste stream by recycling and composting at least 95% of our waste.
• Recycle all paper, cardboard, wood, metals, bottles, plastics, packaging and cans.
• Compost all food and landscape waste.
• Discourage the use of paper towels by promoting cloth towels.
• Always use our own linens rather than disposable paper tablecloths
• Reduce the waste generated by donating reusable office items (appliances, electronic equipment, furniture) to charitable organizations.
• Reuse envelopes and packaging and purchase reusable products.
• Promote the use of natural lighting and solar energy.
• Institute a policy to turn off lighting and appliances in unoccupied rooms.
• Purchase low mercury fluorescent lighting or preferably LED lighting and energy star appliances.
• Conserve water with low flow toilets, planting native drought tolerant plants, and using a drip irrigation system.
• Choose green sealed janitorial cleaning products.
• Only use recycled content products, materials and supplies.
• Purchase No VOC paints, markers and air fresheners.
• Recycle universal wastes and prohibit purchasing hazardous wastes.
• Purchase rechargeable batteries and appliances only.
• Promote storm water and source control compliance.
Environmentally Preferable Purchasing
• Purchase re-manufactured and refillable toner cartridges, if possible.
• Purchase office & toilet paper with 100% recycled content as well as tree free paper.
• Purchase products with the least packaging (no plastic, polystyrene, aerosol packaging).
• Purchase office furniture and supplies with recycled content
• Promote the use of refillable bottles, canvas bags and reusable to-go containers.
• Purchase Energy Star rated appliances and office equipment.
• Install water efficient toilets and faucet aerators.
• Encourage the use of public transit.
• Promote biking to work.
• Offer telecommuting options.
• Participate in spare the air, climate smart and energy saving campaigns.
• Strive to use LEED Green building standards.
Employee and Member Education
• Host only zero waste events i.e. ensuring that no waste is generated during events, meetings, etc.
• Hold training programs or brown bag sessions to educate members and employees on proper recycling & composting practices, resource conservation ideas, importance of low-toxic purchasing etc.
• Offer incentives to encourage environmentally preferable practices such as recycling champion, transit hero etc.
• Inform members and employees about environmental issues in our communications and activities
The Board approved this initiative on September 13, 2020